Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Trip to Windsor in 32 Photos

Today brought the much anticipated trip to Windsor Castle! I have been looking forward to this since I found out we were going. The history is quite amazing. William the Conqueror chose the site and almost every monarchy since has made their own personal additions to it. (Official website here). The Queen spends most of her weekends here and hosts many international functions in the state rooms. We were able to tour the inside of the state rooms, but photography was not allowed, so I offer you 32 pictures of the outside of the castle and the surrounding town.





An inner court yard


The wall on the left is about 13 feet thick (I believe).

This is a little peep hole that was used for archers to shoot their bows through!

The area that used to be the moat is now the most lovely of gardens


 A nice pond. I can imagine the Queen likes to have her tea in the summer time out here.
(I also wonder what she feeds the pigeons. They are huge!)

The castle functions more like a small town rather than a royal residence. Around 150 people permanently reside here!

An overview of the area from the top of the hill


Inside this part are some of the state rooms


 The plaque calls this a gun, but I'm not sure I agree


 Here we have a cannon that was recovered from a shipwreck

The inner court yard again

A guard on the far side



Another lovely part of the moat-gardens

 I love the sky in this one

 I forgot what part of the castle this is, but it reminds me of the Tower of London, so I like it
Some guards marching up the street

A nice little Irish pub where we ate lunch
(I had a burger and fries. It wasn't too bad!)

The Crooked House of Windsor (aka the Shrieking Shack)
Its actually a cafe where you can get tea and a light lunch


I believe this is the original wall that William the Conqueror built in the late 1000s.

There is a surprisingly nice shopping center in the town as well. Lots of nice shops and restaurants.


No comments:

Post a Comment